On some days, I am just very lazy to post. Most days of last week were lazy which explains our absence. Also, last week we just preferred to cook & eat and skip the “click” step of our usual routine. It is so exhausting at times, especially for us “wannabe good food photographers” who try to click a decent picture or two with the so-called right props et al.
I must indulge in some self-praising and ego boosting now- we did cook up a storm and were so proud of everything we made last week. It was friends’-approved too! We made delicious vegetarian Shammi Kebabs, melt-in your mouth Chicken Malai Kebabs and a healthy olive oil & whole wheat flour Walnut Spice Bread.
We’ll be back with those recipes soon but for now, enjoy these Asian-inspired Portobello Mushroom Sliders. These succulent sliders are totally satisfying, filling and easy to put together for a quick weeknight meal.
Here is how Nikhil made the ‘shroom sliders (oh, in case you didn’t notice from our last Mushroom Soup post, I love saying ‘shroom):
- 4 slider buns
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 chunks sliced Tofu
- Any other fixins of your choice, we used a quick home-made Asian slaw and tomato
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Bring together all the marinade ingredients in a flat bottom shallow dish and set this aside.
- Wash the mushrooms and pat them dry. Break the stem off the mushrooms and soak them in the marinade together with the tofu making sure the mushrooms and tofu are coated with the marinade. Marinade for about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat an iron skillet or a non-stick pan with a dash of olive oil.
- Place the tofu on the pan and cook them for about 2-3 minutes each side, until it forms a nice golden crust.
- Then in the same pan, place the mushrooms with the gill side (i.e. the black part) up and pour a little bit of the marinade over them (not too much). Your pan should be on medium heat (not too hot not too low)
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown and flip. Cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Your burgers are ready to assemble. You could make a quick Asian slaw to put on the base of the slider with a nice thick slice of tomato and top it off with the Mushroom & Tofu and you’re ready to roll!
There are conflicting opinions about washing the 'shrooms. However, we always prefer to wash the mushrooms since we clearly see so much dirt on them. Just brushing the dirt away doesn't do us good. But feel free to treat the 'shrooms the way you want! Washing and gently patting them dry is highly recommended. 🙂
Please excuse the blurry picture above, we got carried away with those good looking ‘shrooms. Nah. I am just making that up. We couldn’t manage enough decent shots so had to make good with the best of the lot. 🙂
Also linking this up at DM Du Jour’s MM Linkup Party.