So on popular and urgent demand we are back with the recipe for the Tandoori Spice Mix that we used on the Tandoori Chicken that we brought to Fiesta Friday. This blend of spices can be used on just about anything- paneer, tofu, fish, shrimp, meats, to sauté vegetables and what not!
A lot of families may have their own version of this with some adding a few more or less spices than the ones we have or in different proportions. We think either ways with a spice mix made using such fragrant and flavorful spices and herbs, you can never really go wrong. We added heaps of smoked paprika primarily for two reasons: one, to get a rich color and some heat and two, since we were using the oven to cook to tandoori chicken we wanted to get some smokiness and smoked paprika worked really well.
Don’t worry about the amount of paprika that goes in this recipe. When you use this for a marinade only about 50% of the heat actually gets into the meat but feel free to adjust the amount of red chilli and smoked paprika to your taste.
So here is how we made the Tandoori Masala:
- 3 dried long red chillies
- 3 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 3/4 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon whole black pepper
- ½ tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 pod black cardamom (if you don’t have this you may use about 1/4 tablespoon whole cardamom pods)
- ¼ teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
- 2 small sticks of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4-5 tablespoons smoked paprika
- In a hot, heavy bottom pan, toss together the red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, fenugreek seeds and cinnamon, for about a minute or so until the spices start to release flavor. You’ll know this when your kitchen smells heavenly 😉
- Remove these from the heat and transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Put all the whole spices in your spice grinder and add the ground nutmeg, turmeric and paprika and blend to a smooth powder.
- Easy peasy Tandoori Masala is ready. Store this in an air tight container and use it on just about anything.
Find our Tandoori Chicken recipe here.