Since we got back from Charleston we have been detoxifying ourselves. We usually eat in moderation but then we go to a food paradise like Charleston we sort of go overboard. We’ve been having fruit smoothies, soups, greens and the likes. I have to admit that the concept of salads as meals never appealed to me before- probably because I wasn’t having the right ones. But then Nikhil introduced me to such wonderful salads and dressings that I am all for them now.
So whilst a post is still due from us on our Charleston Food Diaries (until then you can enjoy our postcards from Charleston) we thought it would be best to carry our quick Avocado, Beet & Orange Salad to Fiesta Friday. It’s fresh, simple and so refreshing.
Here is how we made it:
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- 1 vine tomato, cut into segments
- ¼ beetroot, cut into thin strips
- 6-7 olives, deseeded and halved (we used green and Kalamata)
- 10-12 leaves mint
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- In a small bowl or a mason jar, mix all the ingredients for the dressing and set this aside.
- Julienne 2-3 leaves of mint for garnish.
- In a large bowl, put all the salad ingredients and add in the dressing. Mix it lightly with your hands.
- Put the dressed salad gently on to a serving platter and garnish with julienned mint leaves.