Now this is another everyday recipe that most of us have our own version of. It’s so easy and quick to put together so why not? Our love for Baked Kale Chips arose due to our frequent crunchy cravings. Yes- I think I have mentioned this before- N more than me always wants something crunchy and even though we don’t usually have chips lying around the house, there are days when they are and we end up munching on them. Baked Kale Chips are really such a great way to satisfy those crunchy cravings without feeling too guilty – a great snack, a perfect accompaniment with soups or even a great topping on popcorn? Kale chips on popcorn?? Sounds odd? It may but I think it’s a great idea and no, it’s not mine. I saw someone crumbling kale chips over popcorn and thought it was really smart and fun.
So, when I bake kale chips I try adding spices and flavors and doing things to it. But my kale chips never managed to absorb any of the spices I added until I finally realized that kale needs a lot of seasoning (even though it shrinks on baking).. a lot of salt. So I found a way- I now add some quick home-made spiced salt as soon as they are out of the oven. And there we are- munching Baked Kale Chips with Spiced Salt! Here is how we make it:
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons spiced salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder/ cayenne pepper
- a dash of ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Wash the kale leaves and dry very well.
- Next, trim out the ribs of the kale and discard. Tear the remaining kale into approximately two-inch pieces.
- Place kale in a large bowl, add the olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and toss gently, making sure the kale is coated with olive oil.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil. Lay kale in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the sea salt. (If you have more kale than baking sheet, cook them in batches).
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, just until crisp. Start checking at 9 minutes – don’t overcook or they’ll burn!
- Take them out of the oven and immediately sprinkle the spiced salt over it and serve!
Linking up at parties at: