First, let me warn you, to get to the chicken burgers you’ll actually have to scroll down a fair bit of text and a few pictures but I promise there are interesting stories on the way! Anyway, Happy Valentine’s Day, y’all and of course TGIFF! For those who are not already a part- go, join, quick, here!
Over the last few days there has been a visual overdose of hearts, everything pink and red, cakes and roses everywhere- well I am enjoying the OD! It’s not going to last long enough so let’s have some fun. 🙂 I was so tempted myself to post a molten chocolate lava cake that I made in 2 small ramekins yesterday but fortunately or unfortunately they didn’t last long enough for pictures. So that’s for another time! But wait, here is how one of them looked (we managed to save this one just for a couple of pictures before indulging):
and then we took it out of the ramekin, dusted some powdered sugar & cocoa powder and need I say more…
And oh did I mention I tried using healthy ingredients- organic coconut sugar, coconut oil, brown rice flour & oat flour plus an egg and an extra egg yolk and they came out just great.
Now back to Valentine’s day and Fiesta Friday. Even though we don’t go all out to “celebrate” this day ‘coz we like to think every day is a Valentine’s Day for us- cheeeeesssyyyy, I’d like to see flowers around the house :). The husband also got me a slice of a vanilla cake with strawberry jam filing and a super awesome strawberry-ish frosting and oh yes a fun card. The flowers are in the vase and I ate the cake so here is the card:
oops..I apologize for some uncensored portions!
no that is not a kid’s handwriting.. that’s Nikhil..scribbling and trying to make hearts!
Aww… Isn’t that sweet now? Did you just ask me what I got him? Well, I am practical, I was out (window) shopping yesterday afternoon and remembered Nikhil needed a pair of PJ’s so I decided that is going to be his Valentine’s day gift 🙂
Next, what are we doing this evening? Nothing. Why? ‘Coz we are SNOWED IN! These wretched winters need to be over and out for good- pretty please? Until then, I suggest we all enjoy Fiesta Friday with these yummy Chicken Burgers. Now, burger’s don’t always have to be unhealthy. Use the right kind of meat, good ingredients, whole wheat 100 calorie buns and for some indulgence good cheese 🙂
Here is how Nikhil makes them-
- ½ pound or approx. 250 grams ground chicken
- ¼ of a small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons chopped mint leaves (the mint gives the burger such great flavor, you just mustn’t skip this)
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream, whichever you have on hand
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, add more if needed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2-3 slices provolone cheese
- 1 dollop of low fat sour cream
- a few slices onions and tomatoes for the burger
- 2 whole wheat buns, when you chose your wheat buns make sure that whole wheat grain is the first ingredient listed
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the chicken patty ingredients together.
- Form the patties depending on the size of your buns. This recipe makes 2 large patties.
- In a pan, heat the oil and butter and pan fry the chicken patties. Each side should be cooked for approximately, 4-5 minutes.
- If you like your cheese melted with the patty, this is what you do- when the second side is cooked for about 3 minutes you just put the slice of cheese on the patty and allow it to melt for about 30-40 seconds before taking it off the heat. If you don’t like it this way, just take the patty off the heat and layer your cheese when you assemble the burger.
- Next, slightly toast the buns and assemble the burger with toppings of your choice- we used tomatoes, onions, provolone cheese. We also spread a dollop of sour cream on the bun in place of the mayo. You could use mayo if you prefer.
So, that’s how easy, simple and not so unhealthy chicken burgers can be! Oh we also made shoe-string fries. It’s basically potatoes sliced really thin, soaked in water for about 20 minutes to get rid of the starch, towel dried, deep fried and sprinkled with salt. 🙂 You just cannot go wrong with this!
I like my burger with just the cheese!
P.S.- it is also our 50th blog post so yeyyii!! 🙂