Virtually any salad is a quick and easy way to make a meal. There is also very little that you can do to ruin a salad. So we (read Nikhil) have been trying to eat healthy and every now and then try and sneak (not so much) in a salad for dinner. We have also been meaning to post a salad recipe for quite sometime now but the salads never made it to the camera- this time it did. 🙂
So one evening we decided to raid our refrigerator to see what we could make a salad out of. We were lucky we had almost everything we wished for in a salad- greens, chicken, egg, avocado, grapes, nuts, balsamic vinegar for the dressing and there we were. The combination of ingredients for this salad is magical! Scrumptious grilled chicken with fresh and crunchy greens, tangy goat cheese and the nuttiness of the walnuts and oh the grapes add just the hint of sweetness the salad needs. This salad is easy to make, FULL of HUGE flavors, and very little fat.
So here is how we made it-
- A medium size bag of mixed salad greens (12 oz) (or 3-4 cups of make your own greens- you could use cabbage or lettuce, baby spinach, arugula, frisée, romaine)
- 1 sliced tomato
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 hard-boiled egg, optional
- a handful of green grapes
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- A teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 (or 2) chicken thigh/ breast
- Juice of half a lime
- a pinch of italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt, add more as required
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a mason jar or a small bowl, bring together the vinaigrette ingredients, mix well and keep aside for a few minutes.
- Separately, toss the chicken in lime juice, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and set it aside for a few minutes (or 2-4 hours or even overnight).
- In your indoor grill pan or an iron skillet, heat the oil and throw in the marinated chicken. Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes. Once done let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing it.
- While the chicken is cooling, in a large salad plate or a bowl bring all the salad ingredients together, add in the vinaigrette, the chicken and mix well and serve!
- If you are serving this at a dinner party or even your own family, work on the presentation a bit to make it look absolutely irresistible! We usually layer the greens below and then the sliced tomatoes, avocados, egg, grilled chicken in the centre. You can then sprinkle the nuts, grapes and goat cheese over this.
Now really how easy and refreshing was this??