We know we’ve been away for quite a while now. And if we haven’t already told you a few times, we’ll let you know again- we’ve been moving houses which involved a lot of packing, moving and then unpacking again! Phew- we are still recovering! Now back to the yummy hummus we made. We may have mentioned in our previous posts that we usually keep soaked & cooked garbanzo beans (white chickpeas) in our refrigerator. It helps us a great deal to whip up quick meals and salads. This time we made a spicy hummus with a crazy twist- we added chipotle peppers and artichoke hearts! This obviously was N’s idea- he always looks for dips for his crunchy cravings. This is a super easy, quick & healthy dip that can be made in advance and keeps well in the refrigerator for a good 5-6 days.
Here is how N made it-
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (white chickpeas)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10-12 artichoke hearts (we used frozen)
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon feta cheese
- a lime wedge
- 5-6 mint or cilantro leaves
- a dash of extra-virgin olive oil
- a pinch of paprika
- To soften the frozen artichoke hearts, put them in a bowl with just enough water to cover and microwave for a minute and a half and then drain the water. Allow this to cool slightly.
- In a food processor or a blender, pulse the cooked garbanzo beans for about 40-50 seconds and then add in the remaining ingredients and blend it until it forms a thick paste. This usually takes 3-4 minutes in a food processor. You could choose to keep it a little chunky like we did or blend it for a couple more minutes until it forms a smooth paste.
- Garnish with feta cheese, a dash of extra-virgin olive oil, a few mint leaves or coriander and a pinch of paprika to serve.
Enjoy with pita chips or any of your favorite chips. We had some leftover naan (Indian flatbread) which we baked to make our own chips !