With oranges all around these days, we take inspiration and so we made Orange Pancakes, actually orange pancake medallions. Nothing orangey has tasted orangey enough without orange zest and that is what we added to our basic pancake recipe. 🙂 This recipe here is a pancake recipe from scratch and with basic ingredients that most of us almost always have- all-purpose flour, milk, egg, butter, baking powder, vanilla extract & orange zest! It does guarantee a stack of fluffy, tasty and orangey pancakes. We had this with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and a slice of orange cake I made the day before. What’s more perfect than a Sunday morning pancake breakfast?
So here is how we made it-
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ egg
- 6 tablespoons milk, plus another tablespoon if the batter is too thick
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons oil & butter to grease the pan for about 2 pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and set aside.
- In another small bowl, bring together the egg, milk, oil, melted butter, orange zest, vanilla and whisk lightly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix only until combined. The batter should be thick but of pourable consistency. If it is too thick try adding a few drops of milk to loosen it up.
- Lightly grease a non-stick pan with some butter and oil on medium-low heat and pour the batter onto the pan in the size you desire. Like I said we made small medallion size pancakes but you could make larger ones if you prefer.
Depending on how many pancakes you want to make you can double or triple the recipe. This recipe would make great chocolate chip pancakes or any other fruit pancakes too. You can add chocolate chips or even a tablespoon of cocoa powder into the batter to make them chocolaty.