So it’s a long weekend here (it’s labour day on September 2) and right before we head off for our next road trip I thought I should quickly let you know what I am carrying to munch along the way. I saw these super awesome cookies that Ree Drummond (those who follow Food Network should know who she is and for others she is an award winning American blogger) made yesterday and posted on her Facebook page and I couldn’t stop myself from baking them. I thought well we are going to be driving for 7-8 hours and these cookies are a perfect home-made snack to munch on the way. So my recipe here is adapted from Ree’s and they are the most perfectly Crispy Brown Sugar Cornflake Cookies! I suggest you try them right away and tell us how they were! So here is how I made them-
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain cornflakes, crumbled
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl using a hand mixer (or an electric mixer) beat together the butter and brown sugar for about 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg and mix for only about 30 seconds until combined.
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl and add this mix into the creamed mixture in 2 to 3 batches and mixing it only until combined for about 3 minutes in all. Do not overmix.
- Then mix in the crumbled cornflakes and walnuts.
- Use a regular spoon or an ice-cream scoop to drop portion of the cookie dough on a greased cookie sheet spacing them a few inches apart. They will spread on baking so make sure to leave at least 2 inches.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until dark and chewy. I baked 2 batches (separately) and I baked the first batch for about 10-12 minutes and they were nice and chewy. I baked the second batch for a bit longer- about 13-15 minutes and they came out crispier.
- Do let them cool slightly on the cookie sheet after removing from the oven.
They were absolutely heavenly!!! I had 4 of these large cookies all by myself within 7 minutes of their cooling. 🙂
So until our next recipe, have a great weekend!!