So for our first recipe post we decided to go the good old traditional way- start with something sweet! Orange cupcakes it is! Note that these are only orange flavor and not really orange in color- just in case you get confused by the way they look. I am a die hard fan of Ina Garten and you’ll know this further on as well and I absolutely love her recipes. My recipe here is an adaptation from hers with a few tweaks. After a few unsuccessful attempts at tweaking the recipe, I finally managed to bake what I call perfectly moist and light orange flavored cupcakes. So I made these orange cupcakes to carry to a house party recently and they were quite popular- not to my surprise :). The ingredients may seem a bit much but believe me the effort was so worth it! So here it goes-
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature (for substitute see note below)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners’/ icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Insert cupcake liners into two 12-muffin, muffin pans and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and the granulated sugar with a hand/ stand mixer on slow speed until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the orange juice, the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Next, add and mix with your handmixer or the stand mixer the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the creamed butter and sugar batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin pans, smooth the tops and bake for about 30-35 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin to check if it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean this means your orange cupcakes are ready! Let the muffins cool for about an hour before frosting.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, orange juice and orange zest until smooth. Add a few more drops of juice, if necessary, to make it pour easily. Pour or drizzle over the cupcakes and let them rest for about 5-10 minutes and serve!
- To make them look prettier you could also drop zest from half an orange on to some and on others drop one Hershy’s Kisses onto the center of the cupcakes.
Two ways to make buttermilk at home in 5 minutes- 1. Mix 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup of milk. Stir and make it a quick substitution for buttermilk. 2. In a 1-cup measuring cup, add 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar. Top the lemon juice or white vinegar with milk. Stir and let sit for five minutes.